«

»

Sep 18 2012

Cardboard Boxes Catch Fire From Discarded Cigarette Just South of Mexico Square

A discarded cigarette is thought to be the culprit in an alley fire just off the Mexico square Tuesday afternoon. Public Safety Assistant Director Brice Mesko says fire crews responded to the call in the 100 block of South Washington just after 3:00 Tuesday afternoon and found a pile of cardboard boxes on fire. a passerby had put out the boxes with a fire extinguisher but the fire had gotten into the wall of the building. Crews put out the remaining flames. Mesko says the passerby had minor burns on his arms but did not want medical attention and disappeared before he could be identified. The building sustained minor damage.