Toxin Found In Stephens Lake

Water tests revealed a low level toxin caused by a harmful algae was found in Stephens Lake in Columbia yesterday. [Friday]

Water quality monitors with the Missouri Department of Natural Resources took the samples for testing near the beach at the lake.

The type of blooms causing the issue can make people and pets sick.

Harmful algae toxins can cause skin irritation and upset stomachs, and officials are urging park visitors to keep their pets away from the water.

More testing is scheduled for next week.

Leave a Reply