Toxin Found In Stephens Lake

Water tests revealed a low level toxin caused by a harmful algae was found in Stephens Lake in Columbia yesterday. [Friday]

Water quality monitors with the Missouri Department of Natural Resources took the samples for testing near the beach at the lake.

The type of blooms causing the issue can make people and pets sick.

Harmful algae toxins can cause skin irritation and upset stomachs, and officials are urging park visitors to keep their pets away from the water.

More testing is scheduled for next week.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s