The Hannibal Fire Department and the State Fire Marshal is investigating after one person died as a result of a fire at the Country Hearth Inn yesterday afternoon. [Wednesday]
According to the fire department, crews were dispatched at 12:43. Upon arrival fire fighters found heavy smoke and fire coming from an occupied room near the rear of the motel.
The blaze was quickly extinguished and one occupant was located inside. They were quickly removed and transported by ambulance to Hannibal Regional Hospital where they were pronounced dead.
The identity of the occupant nor the cause of the fire has been released pending further investigation.